Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy for Arachnophobia
(fear or phobia of spiders)
What do you do when you find an unwanted spider in your home?
- Do you ignore it?
- Do you half-heartedly call for help and hope someone else deals with it?
- Do you trap it under a jar and let it out?
- Do you catch it in your hands and tip it out of the window?
- Do you freeze, get tight chested, go hot and cold?
- Does your heart start pounding, or do you feel light headed?
- Do you find it impossible to stay in the same room as the spider, even if you can’t actually see it?
- Does even thinking about spiders or seeing them on television make you feel uncomfortable?
- Do you find yourself checking for spiders wherever you go, just in case?
If you answered ‘yes’ to the first four questions then you don’t really have a problem.
But if you found yourself saying ‘yes’ to any of the remaining questions then you probably fear spiders and may even have a phobia of them (arachnophobia).
The fear of spiders is very common, even in this country where poisonous or otherwise dangerous spiders are unknown in the wild. To a certain extent I think it is instinctive to have some awareness of the creepy crawlies around us particularly as our ancestors came from environments where they might get a nasty surprise if they trod or sat on the wrong thing.
But if your fear stops you doing what you would like to do or if you find yourself preoccupied by thoughts or worries about spiders, or if when you see one, or think you see one, your anxiety level goes through the roof, you may well have a phobia and the chances are that it will not go away on its own – in fact it could get worse.
To find out more about treatment for fear of spiders, otherwise known as arachnophobia, just give me a call on 01206 299 724 or email me using my contact page.